Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a Calico that has developed a "sore" behind one ear…

Customer Question
I have a Calico...

I have a Calico that has developed a "sore" behind one ear on her neck, and I've been just using an antiseptic as it looks like a skin dermatitis. She is one of three inside (never outside) so wonder what is going on. No diet changes, no litter changes (type), The other two are not calicos (black/white), and she is neutered as are the other two. They "play/fight" but are never really fighters of any kind and no cross hissing between them. She gets Purina dry and once daily wet (teaspoon) to supplement as she loves the additional fluid content, but they all (as well as two dogs, have water changes daily).

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Dot (She has 4 dots on one side, in the shape of a spade in black/orange/brown, etc.)

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/13/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you post a picture of what this looks like here? Do her ears have black debris or odor in them?

I could do so tonite as now I am @ work. It feels "grainy" but I used hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball, and it looks better today, not as grainy.
Her ears are fine.

If you want to do that later tonight, that would be great. I'm going to be on and off all day. Suspicion based on your description is that it could be a sore / scratch / bite from her playing a little more rough with one of the other two. Sometimes things can just get a little out of hand a scratch / bite can happen that can fester and scab over like this. My own bigger male cat will occasionally get one on his check area when he's paying with the younger male cat. They can just go at it a little aggressive and he'll get that acute area of moist dermatitis that typically heals with keeping it clean and dry and a short course of oral antibiotics. IF the ears were dirty, then they can sometimes be scratching due to ear discomfort and be self inflicting trauma.

Okay. I will take a pic and send tonight

I'll be watching for it!

Any luck with the picture?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian