Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat September is around seven years old. He is a rescue.

Customer Question
I found him with the...
My cat September is around seven years old. He is a rescue. I found him with the rest of his litter of the feeder road of a major highway. The mom was feral and the dad had tags, but ran away. I assume his owners didn’t fix him. I took his brothers to a lady I know who has a farm and or Fessional pet rescue business
anyway, he’s always been fairly healthy, at least for the first 4 years or so. We have been feeding him blue at the recommendation of our vet and at that time there were some major recalls. I say this because I’m still suspicious. He developed with the vet is now called irritable bowel disease. He only has diarrhea and never has hard stool. He is been this week consistently For about three years straight. he is hungry all the time. He diarrhea’s and vomits on a regular basis. As far as the vets are concerned, that we have been to, there is nothing they can do. I’ve read all the stuff on litter boxes, and we have tried everything. I just can’t believe that is it. It’s always clean, we check it multiple times a day. We’ve different types of litter, different boxes, locations, you name it. Yet, he consistently goes both in the box, outside the box, on the wall near the box, and all-around it as well as inside it. Recently he has resigned to peeing on the kitchen island, which is brand new. It seems really strange, because that’s only been happening for the past couple of weeks and it doesn’t make any sense. Even with a clean box with fresh litter, he pees on the kitchen counter. Is he trying to tell us something?I’m not one of those people who just puts their pet down when it’s inconvenient, but I’m starting to think that by not doing so maybe I’m forcing a suffering cat to live. The vets don’t think there’s anything they can do. I doubt he gets any nutrition at all because of his symptoms. I thought for sure it was a parasite or something but they couldn’t find anything. Sometimes they give us steroids which helps temporarily for a couple of days but then stop working. I still blame Blue. Seems too convenient to be a coincidence but I really don’t know. I am frustrated at the fact that there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do to help him. Any thoughts? He is a white flame point.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/13/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 5 months ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to help you. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Inflammatory bowel disease sure is a tough one to treat. I think there are still some options in this case, but I can understand how you may be at the end of your rope.

I do think September is urinating in the kitchen as a way to express his stress/anxiety, etc. - likely because of his primary disease.

What food is he eating now? Changing to a special allergy diet can often really help these cats with their diarrhea and other symptoms, something with a protein he hasn't had before, such as Rabbit and Pea, etc. Steroids are a pretty standard treatment, but they generally need to stay at pretty high doses for a while and then taper down. Vitamin B injections are also really important, as these cats are usually deficient and they can't absorb it through their GI tracts.

For September, I would suggest the following:

1. bloodwork just to rule out any thyroid or kidney issues causing his peeing problem

2. if bloodwork is normal, ask your veterinarian about prescription diets, or there are some over the counter allergy diets you could try

3. longer courses of steroids with a slow taper

4. Vitamin B injections

Let me know your thoughts/questions!

Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 5 months ago

Hello there,

any updates or questions?

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow