Dr G
Dr G, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM at Small Animal and Exotic Hospital
100098376

My 3-4 month old syrian male hamster was sleeping in front

Customer Question

My 3-4 month old syrian male hamster was sleeping in front of the cage door when i got home which is usually as he always sleeps in his loft. upon waking him I found that he was wobbly and falling over and continued to seek warmth and sleep. i took him out and put him by a heated bottle and covered him in blankets... he continued sleeping for over an hour and became gasping for air slowly for about 10 minutes and his limbs trembled until his breathing slowed to a stop and he became cold. i have no idea what went wrong.. he was extremely active the night before and was in good shape.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the hamster. What is the hamster's name?
Customer: Kovu.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kovu?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr G replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Dr G. I'm really sorry you lost your hamster. I know it's not easily especially when we lose them so suddenly.
It can be very hard to figure out what happened. Do you have a vet? Some vets will do a necropsy at no or small charge to tell you what happened (like an animal autopsy).
Some possible explanations....
Intestinal parasites.
Acute pneumonia/Respiratory infection
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) if he wasn't eating that day
Hypothermia (got too cold). With the changing weather in the country, we are seeing little critters get too chilled and that can lead them to not eat or not move.
Some sort of trauma....injured on his wheel, fell off something etc.
It sounds like you took good care of him and he was very loved. I know Kovu will be missed.