Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is a neutered male who is 10 years old. He and two…

Customer Question
My cat is a...

My cat is a neutered male who is 10 years old. He and two other cats are outdoor cats who live in a building where they can drink, litter and feed whenever they want to. Over the past month my cat has been losing hair over large areas on each side. This past few days, he also seems to be losing hair around the left side of his face also. The vet said she thought he was overgrooming his balding sides, but that doesn't seem to be right with the additional thinning of hair on the left side of his face. awhat should I do? He stays well groomed. Aslo, the other cats don't seem to have this problem at all.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Felix. He's a tuxedo cat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Felix?

No, otherwise he seems fine.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/13/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does he seem to be itchy at all? Any weight loss noted?

Felix seemed to have a lot of belly fat which he trimmed off. This is a usual fall pattern. I don't see him scratching or licking, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do it. The skin appears normal except for his hair loss. He always lacked thick hair, and as he has aged, the hair on the backs of his legs has thinned some. He does keep himself groomed. This time last year, he also lost hair on the sides of his trunk, then it grew back. His left eye seems strained and reddish, and that could be from more sun getting through. Every fall, the other male cat bullies the other two. But he's past that. Also, I haven't noticed any scratches or bruises. He asks for and gets a saucer of milk nearly every day, in addition to his cat food and the occasional chipmunks and other critters he catches.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Since this happened around the same time last year, it is quite possible that the hairloss could be due to some type of allergy. You may want to ask your veterinarian about giving him some type of allergy medication to see if that helps. Common medications to treat that could include some type of steroid or an antihistamine. But also because of his age you may want to have his bloodwork checked. Older cats can get a condition called hyperthyroidism which can cause thinning of the hair as well.

done. answer was ok. Just don't like the price started as five, then went up to $22 with lots of pressure to spend more. I don't plan to use your site again.

Okay I will refer you to customer service

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian