Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I've been treating my cats for ring worm and in dipping with…

Customer Question
I've been treating my...

I've been treating my cats for ring worm and in dipping with lime sulfer and on this one cat there was a small scab and came off and it started bleeding..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

It is 6 months old.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand one of your cats is being treated for ringworm and has an area where the skin is bleeding. I am sorry to hear about that. Is the area currently bleeding? Are you able to apply pressure to the area if it is actively bleeding?

It didn't bleed much. I was wondering if ring worm has different signs such as a crusty sore.. Is there another way of treating wing-worm which is less stress-full for the cat?

Ringworm typically just causes hair loss and flakes, but redness and crusts can occur if there is any scratching because of the inflammation. The skin is weaker in these areas, so scratching can damage the skin where it will bleed. A crust (i.e. scab) forms in that area to heal the bleeding, but it can bleed again if it gets damaged.

There are other ways of treating ringworm besides the shampoo method. There is an oral medication such as itraconazole, terbinafine, or griseofulvin. You could also spot treat with an antifungal cream to an area 6cm beyond the margin of the lesion, but that is not as effective as treating the entire body because the fungal spores are usually resting on other hair shafts on the body besides where the hair loss is observed. I hope that helps.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is your cat doing?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian