Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is 16.5. taking meds for hyperthyroid and inflammatory…

Customer Question
He is 16.5....

He is 16.5. taking meds for hyperthyroid and inflammatory bowel (methimazole 7.5 twice a day and predniscone 5 a day). Over the past 2-3 days, he has had difficulty standing and this morning he cant stand or walk. still hungry and alert

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

No fall

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Ted

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ted?

No - been healthy developed the throid and IB 3-4 years ago. Very healthy appetite.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

That's very worrisome that Ted doesn't seem to be able to walk - if you pick him up to try to aim his feet on the floor can he stand then? Or does he just fall over?

Any changes to his breathing?

he is actually now able to walk a bit but extremely wobbly and sits down before he falls. No change in breathing or other behavior.

That is good that his breathing does not seem affected, but still concerning that his walking is so abnormal.

At his age and especially with his medical conditions, there are many things that can go haywire.

There are many possibilities, but the things I would be worried about are things like his electrolytes being abnormal that may be causing weakness; cats with thyroid disease, even when treated are higher risk for heart disease that something could also be changing with his heart.

It is a judgement call for watching him today and seeing your vet tomorrow if he is not any better, vs erring on the side of caution and having him checked today. If he is not showing any signs of overt distress, I think you could watch him for a bit longer, but if anything seems to be getting worse, especially for his breathing, I would get him seen in person as soon as possible.

Cats try really hard to not let on that anything is wrong, so when we can tell something is not right by how they are acting, it is more likely to be serious. And for the signs he is showing, I do worry about the potential for something to get worse if it is an electrolyte imbalance or heart issue, high blood pressure etc.

Just checking in on Ted, is he doing any better today?