Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Last week, I boarded my 1-year-old DSH at the vet for 3

Customer Question
Hello. Last week, I boarded...
Hello. Last week, I boarded my 1-year-old DSH at the vet for 3 days. The vet did not mention any incidents or injuries, but the night I picked up my cat, I noticed a scabby, bloody lump on her chin. It is about 1/4" long by 1/8" wide. I have been cleaning it with Vetericyn (hypochlorous acid 0.010%) for a week, with no improvements (other than it stopped bleeding and is now just a scabbed lump). Should I take her back to the vet to have it checked physically, or give it more time to heal first? My cat shows no sign of discomfort or pain even when I clean the lump.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about Kohl.

Now this lesion is still quite inflamed despite a week having passed. So, we do need to tread with care. Looking at the lesion at this point, it does give the impression of a mild trauma (ie if he caught himself rubbing up on the vet's cage, tick bite, small puncture if he was scratching too vigorously or from another cat --less likely here, etc). But again we'd expect any of those to settle within a week if there is no infection or foreign body present in the wound (and provided he hasn't been able to scratch it, since cats are their own worst enemies).

With this in mind, if there is any chance he has rubbed/scratched this in the past week, we'd want an ecollar on him for the short term to make sure this has ample time to heal without self-trauma countering that. As well, as there isn't much in the Vetericyn, I'd lean to using a stronger antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream. This can be done twice daily. If we do that and it doesn't settle in the next few days, then we'd want a check just to make sure there is no infection or bit of anything (ie nail, litter, etc) present in the wound preventing it from fully settling for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kohl. How is everything going?

Dr. B.