Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Can I ask a question about toxoplasmosis exposure with brand…

Customer Question
Hi, can I ask...

Hi, can I ask a question about toxoplasmosis exposure with brand new kittens

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

We fostered 3 kittens for 24 hrs. They were about 6 weeks old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

There were three and they were 6 weeks old. What is the likelihood that they had toxoplasmosis. They were strays. I’m pregnant and wondering if I should get tested.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Congrats to you on your pregnancy and thanks for being a kitten foster!

There are a lot of warnings out there about Toxoplasmosis so I can understand your concern.

Any issues that you could tell with the kittens while you had them for any signs of illness, diarrhea etc? How long ago was it that the kittens were staying with you?

No. They seemed fine. No diarhea.

Ok great.

So in a situation like this, it is always best to consult your doctor/ob-gyn - but from the veterinary perspective, the odds of picking up anything from the kittens in that short period of time would be extremely low.

People can only get Toxo by eating one of the eggs (oocysts)- this is more likely to happen if you eat meat that is undercooked, or from gardening where you could get infected dirt under your finger nails and chewed them then swallowed an egg. The only way you could get it from in infected kitten was if you somehow got some of the infected stool in your mouth (like if you picked up poop with your bare hands, did not wash them, and then had your fingers in your mouth - a very unlikely scenario).

There is more info here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=571

From what you are describing for the time you had them, I don't think it is something that would be a high risk situation for you - but always safest to check with your doctor.

Does that help?

Also, with only having them for a day, and probably getting all litter stuff out in the garbage after they left, any stool they passed would not have been hanging around long enough to be a problem - the eggs cannot infect someone immediately, they have to be sitting out for at least 24 hours to be able to become infective.

I didn’t change the litter but spent time with the cats in the room which contained the litter.y husband changed it twice in the 24 hrs. I’m cincerned about it being on the cats fur or paws. Now my husband had diarehea this morning which is 4.5 days after the cats wee with us. He also isn’t feeling well in general.

If you are doing common sense hygiene for handwashing, it is not very likely anything would be passed for toxo. Certainly are many things that can cause GI signs for us and cats, but my immediate thought would not be your husband acquiring Toxo. Of course I am an animal doctor, not a people doctor, and it wouldn't be overly cautious to mention the kittens if he ends up needing to see the doctor for his symptoms.

I hope that helps some - if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian