Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 8 year old cat hasn't peed or pooped in over twenty four…

Customer Question
My 8 year old...

My 8 year old cat hasn't peed or pooped in over twenty four hours. He's showing no signs of wanting to.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Dagwood He doesn't use the litter box. Goes out doors

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

He' hasn't gone outside since noon yesterday. His box hasn't been used.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is this new behavior?

He is netured. Eating, drinking. No signs of fever. Gave him some tuna juice earlier and he lapped it up.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Just saw JA's question. No this is not normal behaviour for him. We had usually cold temps yesterday so wasn't surprised he didn't want to go out side. As noted he hasn't used his box either .
11/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Dagwood has not been seen to urinate or defecate in over 24 hours. I am sorry to hear about this situation. Not urinating for 24 hours is unusual and can be a problem. Not defecating for 24 hours may not be a serious problem, but should be closely monitored. You mentioned he goes outside often. Is it possible he is urinating outside?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian