Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Hamster is very lethargic. Was fine a few hours ago. He is a…

Customer Question
Hamster is very lethargic...

Hamster is very lethargic. Was fine a few hours ago. He is a syrian.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the hamster. What is the hamster's name and age?

Nibbles and he is 15 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nibbles?

He got out about three weeks ago but we found him that night. He has been sleeping a lot the last week.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr G, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Cat Veterinarian
Hi I'm Dr G, I'm sorry to hear that Nibbles is not feeling well. I'm going to see if I can help you out with Nibbles. Give me a few minutes to type up a response for you.
Is Nibbles still eating? Have you recently changed diet or moved Nibbles to a colder place?
He was yesterday. No. But it's gotten very cold here in NJ. He has been burying himself in his cage and house for the last week.
Hamsters will try to hibernate if they get too cold. He could also be ill, but trying to warm him first would be good. Put his cage near the heat vent in the house. Do not use a space heater. You can also hold him and stimulate him a bit to wake up by rubbing him. Keep him in your sweatshirt or sweater for a bit to keep him warm. Maybe try putting his cage on a table under a lamp that has a warm lightbulb.
If you have a people heating pad you could try to put it UNDER his cage (not in his cage, he will chew the cord!) on LOW. Put it under half the cage and cover that half of his cage with a towel as this will help to trap the heat in. And give him a warm and cool side to choose from so he doesn't oveeheat. They also sell at the pet stores and online a pink disc called a Snuggle Safe that is safer to keep in with them to help warm them.
You also need to get Nibbles eating. Try favorite foods or maybe try a bit of apple, dried oats, cereal like Cheerios or cornflakes or even a little hard boiled egg.
Try warming him and getting him eating. But this can also be signs of illness as well. Respiratory infections, internal problems, infections can weaken hamsters. He really needs to see a vet soon if he is not feeling better.Did I fully answer your question? Is there anything else I can do to answer your question?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr G