Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

14 year old male, neutered indoor cat. Have had him since he…

Customer Question
14 year old male...

14 year old male, neutered indoor cat. Have had him since he was 6 weeks old. UTD on shots etc. Vet just ran bloodwork 2 weeks ago + extra kidney test. Everything cam back normal. Cat is not eating much but broths with chicken 2 or 3 times per day. He seems to be hungry, but throws up several hours after eating.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Nope. He eats wet cat food Purina and Sheba broths, no dry food. Poops and pees normally, uses litter box, no blood etc. Seems to be active, still plays and runs up and down stairs. UTD on monthly heartworm/flea (Revolution) has had teeth cleaned and dewormed. No other animals or kids in house. Just me and him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Bubba

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubba?

He's my buddy. I take very good care of him. He never goes outside. Very laid back disposition. He has lost weight, but still considered at a healthy weight for his age. I just want him to eat and keep food down.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 5 months ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there, I am Dr. Christensen. Give me just a moment to read through your question. Thanks!

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 5 months ago

I am sorry to hear that Bubba is not eating well and is vomiting. These situations can be difficult as there are many things that can cause a loss of appetite and vomiting. The good news is you have recently had some labs done, so there are some things that we can rule out (like kidney disease).

Is Bubba having normal bowel movements?

No diareah, no black, very normal not hard
Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 5 months ago

Does he chew on string/yarn/ribbon etc?

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 5 months ago

Based on the background, I would be thinking about:

Thyroid disease - this is diagnosed with a blood test, but is not on routine bloodwork all the time. So if this wasn't run I would recommend having this test run if it wasn't.

IBD- This can be very difficult to diagnose. An ultrasound can be helpful, but sometimes biopsies of the intestines are needed to get a full diagnosis. It is often one of the last things we rule out when everything else seems to be normal but the patient is still vomiting. This is often treated with diet changes and steroids.

Pancreatitis - This is inflammation of the pancreas and can cause vomiting. There is a blood test called an fPL that can diagnosis this. It is treated with fluids, pain meds, and anti-nausea meds.

General gastritis - similar to pancreatitis but less severe, the treatment is symptomatic -- treating the vomiting and re-hydrating the patient.

There are some great appetite stimulants and anti-nausea medications available for cats. These can be very helpful to treat the symptoms and keep Bubba eating. Your regular veterinarian will be able to prescribe these for him.

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 5 months ago

I hope that was helpful. I know these can be difficult situations. It sounds like you are a great owner and are doing all of the right things for Bubba. I think he needs another visit to the veterinarian for an assessment, possibly a thyroid test and a pancreas test and some meds. It is amazing what just some fluids can do. In the meantime, don't change his food and possibly mix in a little extra water to help keep him hydrated. Dehydration is the enemy in these situations.

If you could take a moment to rate my service, it would be greatly appreciated. And, please, let me know if you have any further questions. Wishing you and Bubba all the best.

Thyroid test done and normal. He doesn't eat anything except his chicken cat food. String etc. not likely with him. Thanks. I am going to ask his vet about the pancreatitis test.
Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 5 months ago

Well I am glad to hear that a foreign body is unlikely and that his thyroid is normal. Talk to your veterinarian about checking his pancreas (fPL), it only takes a few drops of blood to run that test. And, as I mentioned, some appetite stimulants like mirtazipine and antinausea meds like cerenia may be very helpful for Bubba right now.

Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen