Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is 11 years old and his blood sugar is really high in the…

Customer Question
He is 11 years...

He is 11 years old and his blood sugar is really high in the 400 mark the medicine is 300 dollars and it last 4 months I leave on a income that I barely can afford my medicines so what do u recommend me too do? I love him dearly but if he is suffering then should I put him down?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Diabetes he is walking different and pooping on carpet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did the cat have a fall?

No I took him to Vet and they did x rays and blood work no arthuritis showing but blood work showed his blood sugar is 430 and his calcium level is real high

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Major

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Major?

When I went on Thursday that cost me 315 dollars and now they ant me to bring him in for the insulin shot and do a test to se if he has cancer

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now these are difficult situations.

First, I have to say that if that calcium is genuinely high (usually we do recheck the calcium before we totally believe it since it is possible to have false elevations from sample handling issues), then Major will have a guarded prognosis since there are very few curable causes for elevated calcium. Often it is seen elevated with cancers (ie lymph node cancer like lymphoma) or can be seen with kidney failure (less likely if there were no kidney changes on bloods). So, if your vet has double checked it and it is truly positive, we do have the cards stacked against us and euthanasia may need to be considered if he is feeling unwell and unable to do the things that have made his kitty life worth living.

Otherwise, if he is coping with his health issues (+/- the calcium is resampled and not truly up), then we do need to think about his diabetes. If they are left untreated, they aren't suffering per say but it will take a toll on the body. They tend to lose weight, find themselves unable to eat/drink enough to be comfortable, and can be at high risk of diabetic ketoacidosis and also in contracting infections. So it would not be nice to leave him untreated if we can help him. And as costs are an issue, I'd suggest looking into diet options. There is a special diabetic cat diet called Hills MD. It comes as canned or dry food and it can help manage the diabetes. For some cats, its all they need and for those that cannot fully stabilize it can reduce their insulin needs (which could reduce overall long term costs or at least it could stabilize him enough to not treat if that just isn't an option). So, if I were Major's vet, I'd just want to recheck that calcium to make sure its truly up. As costs are a concern, if the calcium was up, then hunting for a tumor likely isn't the best way to manage your funds (we'd accept it was there and just keep him comfortable) but we could at least use the diet to try to reduce the toll his diabetes is taking on the body for as long as we can for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**