Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 10yr female. Thyroid test at 36. But she is off…

Customer Question
My cat is 10yr female...
My cat is 10yr female. Thyroid test at 36. But she is off food, her coat is a little greesy looking, she's very protective of around her back end and will attack when patted in that area. She meows long n slowly when spoken too and follows me around. She will fall asleep sitting up or facing a wall or chair?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
How long does it take to get an answer?
11/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 5 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am not sure what you mean by her thyroid is at 36. Do you have a reference range for this. Was this a total T4 level? Was T4 done by equilibrium dialysis as well, if the total T4 was at the higher end of normal? If both thyroid levels were done and you and your veterinarian feel convinced she might be hyperthyroid then submitted a comprehensive panel to look at all thyroid values and have this interpreted by an endocrinologist is a good next step.

Certainly there is a concern for hyperthyroidism based on the signs you have mentioned, but not necessarily. It is possible there is some other reason for her coat change. Many older cats are not as flexible with arthritis and unable to adequately groom the area over their back/spine and tail base. This can lead to a greasy appearance, sometimes matted or even with diarrhea. That in itself is not necessarily a cause for alarm. Voice change can happen with time and if her lab work was normal then this is good. This helps rule out issues like electrolyte abnormalities. If she is losing weight as well or not eating well or having vomit/diarrhea then further testing is indicated. i would probably recommend radiographs (X-rays) to screen for other significant issues like cancer or stones.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified