Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a turkey that looks like it may have fowl pox. He has…

Customer Question
I have a turkey...

I have a turkey that looks like it may have fowl pox. He has had the scabs for over a week and now. He also smells really bad......almost like something rotten. Is that typical with fowl pox? Or wondering if it may be something else?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the turkey's name and age?

Not quite sure of his age. We inherited him and his brother from a family member. His name is*****: How old is Chester?

I’m not sure. He is full grown. Maybe 2 years old? That’s only a guess

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chester?

He’s not wanting to eat and just acts like he feels bad

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you. If there is odor, then its likely there is secondary bacterial infection. And the appetite loss may be due to pox lesions in the throat or his feeling generally unwell due to infection as it will be taxing his immune system. Now if you did want to post a photo of the lesions you are seeing I am happy to check them, but I would suggest some supportive care for Chester here. Specifically for the scabby lesions, we'd want to clean these with betadine (diluted to the weak tea color) a few times daily to help dry them up. As well, you can start syringe feeding a liquid bird feed (or crushing his pelleted food and mixing it with water to make a mash) and consider adding in a vitamin support. Plus since again this odor rings alarm bells of bacterial involvement, we'd want to consider antibiotics (ie Tetracylcine, Tylan, etc) which you can get from your local farm supply or vet. And we'd hope that if we can get this under control for him but of course if we cannot do so then we'd want your local vet swabbing the throat to check for pox or other issues (ie canker, bacteria, gapworms, etc) and starting further antibiotics +/- symptomatic care to help clear this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian