Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

One of my two cats shreds,chews and maybe eats newspaper and…

Customer Question
One of my two...

One of my two cats shreds,chews and maybe eats newspaper and tissue paper and napkins. This is annoying and worrisome. Suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Charlie is a female indoor Tonkinese cat and she and her sister are about 2 1/2 years old. This behavior started about 6 months ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

Although both cats are basically good natured and kind to each other, Charlie is the more aggressive and engages in attacking behavior with her sister leading to hissing and growling. This is fairly new as well.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. From a health aspect, the shredding, chewing, and maybe eating of these things shouldn't be that worrisome. If enough of the material was eaten at once, it could cause a blockage. But if small amounts are being eaten, then it should pass benignly through the intestinal tract. I would be more worried about hard plastic, strings, fibrous stuff, etc... Why are they doing this? They have lots of energy and they like the sound, the excitement and entertainment of doing it. The best thing to help reduce this is to have other activities for them to expend their energy on. Can you get other toys for them to play with that don't cause the same issues? Can you put up a couple stands in front of windows for them to be able to watch outside? Even better, getting a bird feeder outside of that window to entertain them and get them to expend their energy in that manner. As far as attacking behavior, this is something that some just go through a phase. I wouldn't be overly worried about it and see if giving them other activities helps.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian