Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Thanks for reaching out My kitten Simba is about 4 and a 1/2…

Customer Question
Hi! Thanks for reaching...

Hi! Thanks for reaching out My kitten Simba is about 4 and a 1/2 months old, I got him at 7 and 1/2 weeks. Unfortunately he has never been to the vet we live in FL and his first shots were scheduled when hurricane IRMA hit, eventually I was able to reschedule but was unable to make the appointment he does have one next week though. For the last 2 weeks he's been sneaking outside since he always sees us let our other cat out. He has never been out for more then 2 hours, I don't want him outside at all but definitely not until he has his shots/flea protection/ microchiped ect (sorry for the background but I'm afraid him not being vaccinated could broaden the possible issue). The last few days he hasn't eaten as much I thought he didn't like the new brand of wet food I got... He will still eat as many treats as I give him and is drinking normally. Today I noticed one eye is running constantly and is only opening hahalf way. I don't know if the not eating and eye are correlated or coincidence.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your kitten will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten?

Digest what? And not that I can think of thank you.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The best recommendation for any veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

You got an automated robot reply there, ignore the "digest that" statement. :)

He's got an appointment with your local vet next week for his kitten visit?

First thing I'd be concerned about would be viral infection. Very common in kittens. Very commonly causes conjunctivitis in kittens, sometimes a fever and related poor appetite.

The other thing I'd be concerned about would be parasites, definitely a consideration with a young animal that isn't eating well.

There are certainly other possibilities, these are just the two things that first come to mind that are seen often daily. There may be some things more common in your area that your local vet would be more concerned about as well.

You can offer a variety of canned kitten food, human baby food, cooked chicken, etc. to try to entice him to eat better. Warming things up sometimes helps.

You can also check his temperature if you're comfortable doing that rectally. He shouldn't be above 102.5F.

I'd suggest you call your local clinic and seen if you can move his appointment up sooner since he seems ill. They'll likely want to post-pone vaccinations until he's better anyways, so the sooner he get's in and gets treated, the sooner he can get back on track with his wellness items!

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! I’ll reply as soon as I’m able. Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

sir

Yes you'll try to get him in sooner as I suggested?

Let me know if you have additional followup questions, otherwise be sure to kindly rate with the stars. I aim to be as helpful as I can be so let me know if you have additional related questions. Thanks! - Dr. Peck.