Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Feces has started to change color from to yellowish grey.

Customer Question
Feces has started to...

Feces has started to change color from brown to yellowish grey. She is a Munchkin cross and her eating has increased and she also has seizures while sleeping and we think she maybe lacking bile and have liver disease based on what we read online. We had blood work done at our vet's in August and everything seems to be normal. At that time her feces was brown but small. Now her feces are larger but well formed and yellowish grey. If she does have liver disease how is it treated?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's approximately 12 years. She was adopted from the Humane Society and nobody wanted her because she has a deformed paw and has had some medical issues. Bad life, ignored, placed in foster home because they thought she was unadoptable. came in with fleas and ticks, so we decided she was "our" kind of kitty.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Peanut?

She has coughing spells that last up to 3 - 4 minutes

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 5 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How many days or weeks have her faeces been this colour?

about a week

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. As you say under these circumstances liver disease of some kind may be possible, but I have also known changes in faeces colour occur for no particular reason and then correct on their own. Good it has just been going on for a week.

2. Under the circumstances it may be as well to have an other blood panel carried out, just to be on the safe side.

3. There would be a number of possible diagnosis related to liver disease in the cat, where it is a hepatitis then antibiotics may be needed, where it is sclerosis of the liver then there are supportive supplements, cancer of the liver does occur now and again and sometimes chemotherapy may be of benefit, and where there is a bile duct obstruction then surgery may be possible. Your first step is diagnosis ...

4. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Peanut is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her pale faeces ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?