Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Um I have an older cat who is skin and bones but eats wet…

Customer Question
Um I have an...

Um I have an older cat who is skin and bones but eats wet food all the time well more drinks the juice but ya and has direhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Desi, 13

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/9/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Can you tell me when the increase in appetite started and the increase in drinking ?

Is there any vomiting?

Has Desi had any lab work or blood work recently ?

Does Desi have a regular veterinarian?

He’s always hungry. And nope sometimes he would vomit but thats rare. He has not and does not have a vet

Ok so there are 3 very common diseases that older cats can get and he is showing symptoms of one or both of them.

The first one is hyperthyroidism. This is where the thyroid gland over produces the thyroid hormone which causes the metabolism of the pet to sky rocket. This means that the cat burns through so many calories that they cannot keep up with oral intake so the cat starts to digest their own muscle, fat and other tissue etc. These cats are normally ravenous and yet continue to loose weight. This is diagnosed with blood work and treated either with oral, transdermal or surgery. It is a life long disease that needs to be managed.

The second condition is renal failure or renal deficiency. This is where the kidneys cannot conserve the water that is in the blood and instead of filtering the water back into the blood stream it gets dumped into the bladder in the urine. Toxins also being to build up in the blood stream causing these cats to feel nauseated and lose weight. They will also drink more to try and keep up with their hydration, but since they cannot conserve the water they pee it all out = more urinations. This is diagnosed with a urine test and bloodwork and can be managed with home therapies, diet changes and supplements.

The third possibility to explain the diarrhea is either inflammatory bowel disease where the intestines are allergic to the main meat source protein in the food and as such get reactive causing malabsorption and consequently diarrhea. We can also see lymphoma ( a the of intestinal cancer that is commonly occurring in the feline species) that can cause these symptoms. Blood work, ultrasound imaging can diagnose it and steroids, diet changes and supplements can help manage these diseases.

Given these possibilities we need to get Desi into a veterinarian to get examined and some lab work to start and see what we are dealing with and you can reasonably and financially afford to treat or manage whichever conditions may be occurring. Unfortunately sometimes if the renal failure is extremely advanced or if there is cancer treatment may not be a good option. I hope this is not the case, but I want you to be prepared that it may not be good news when you see a veterinarian.

The best recommendation I can make is that Desi see a veterinarian as soon as possible so we can figure out what we are dealing with and get a game plan for moving forward. Good luck let me know how he does. The only home therapies you can try ( that will most likely not help) is adding in feline probiotic into the food. A good one is Feline Fortiflora available on amazon.com.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.