Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My kitten is 4 1/2 months old. He has had all his shots but…

Customer Question
My kitten is 4...

My kitten is 4 1/2 months old. He has had all his shots but a week after i took him in for his last set of shots he started having a watery eye and sneezing. I started giving him a lysine supplement a week ago but he is still sneezing occasionally and his nose is stuffy. Is there anything else I can do, or how long does lysine start to build up his immune system?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

Tucker

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tucker?

He is a full breed maine coon. I am not sure if they are more susceptible to colds or infections.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/9/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Tucker. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that causes the sneezing and conjunctivitis you're seeing. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. The over the counter (available in some feed stores or online except in California) ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as Tucker continues eat, drink, and act normally in spite of his sneezing, Tucker doesn't need to be attended to by his vet. Please note that l-lysine is no longer recommended. In two large-scale studies in FHV-1 positive shelter cats, those cats receiving l-lysine experienced greater morbitidy (severity of signs) than those receiving placebo. No, Maine coons aren't genetically predisposed to respiratory infections. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Are you saying to wait and see if Tucker gets better or get a prescription for either doxycycline or famcizlovis and how do I get this. I do live in California so the medicine you said I could get at a feed store is not available to me.
No thank you onthe phone call. I have already paid $5 plus $17

Yes, be patient with Tucker as he's expected to normalize unaided within 1-3 weeks. The antibiotic or antiviral drug is only needed for cats who don't improve over the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms. Those drugs (as well as the ophthalmic ointment because you live in California) would need to be prescribed by an attending vet. We're not allowed to prescribe through this venue. Mea culpa. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Good bye.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian