Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is shaking his head and scratching his ears. Been going…

Customer Question
He is shaking his...

He is shaking his head and scratching his ears. Been going on for a few days now. No visible sign of mites or fleas... I have some leftover Mometamax from my other cat's yeast infection of the ear. Any harm in using this on the other kitty? it's been kept in the fridge.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?

Floyd. It's not fleas

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Floyd?

He does go outdoors, but I looked him over and saw no parasites. I know mites are hard to see, but we can at times see "mite dirt"...

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I don't have e the money right now to visit our vet, and would like to use the drops I have, if that is safe.
I didn't see any signs of mites in Floyd's ears. I looked for the droppings, as in the way we can see flea droppings. Isn't that a good way to detect the presence of mites?
11/8/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Floyd. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

As you mentioned, it can often be a challenge to diagnose ear mites in a cat without the aid of a microscope; however, having said that, ear mites aren't a common cause of ear infections except in kittens...at least in my experience.

As long as the expiration date on the Mometamax you have hasn't come and gone, then you could use this medication in Floyd's ears. Even if it has expired, it won't be harmful; it just may not be as effective. I'd use it 1-2 times a day for 5-7 days. By the way, I don't typically refrigerate this medication although I'm sure it's fine that you did.

I would also clean them once/day for at least 7-10 days although most cats really hate this procedure. This link describes the procedure in a dog but it's the same in a cat: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1569

You can purchase ear cleaners at most pet or grain stores. Or you can use 50/50 white vinegar and water.

If the ears seem worse and/ or there's no improvement after a few days, then a vet visit might be wise. I hope this helps, Deb