Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 5 month old kitten has been having diarrhea now for

My 5 month old...

My 5 month old kitten has been having diarrhea now for almost 3+ weeks. The first few days she had accidents but then it got a little better and now its consistently in the litter box. She's been dewormed multiple times, gone on antibiotics, is currently on probiotics. And for the past 5 days on just one type and flavor of wet food. Sometimes one of her stools is fine in the morning and then the other two are diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

Gin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gin?

She's otherwise very playful and has an insatiable appetite. Oh and she also initially got tested for Giardia and it was negative.

11/8/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Kitten diarrhea can be quite frustrating-

Do you know the names of the antibiotics and dewormer she has received?

What type of kitten food has she been eating for flavors and brands?

Has she been gaining weight at her vet visits?

Her antibiotic was Metronidazole. She went on it for two cycles. Not sure about the dewormer.For the past 5 days we've been keeping her on Core Wellness wet food, flavor turkey and chic***** *****ver. Before that she had some natural balance dry food.Yes she's gone from 4lbs to 5 and a half pounds in the past month

So good signs she is gaining weight, and I think COre wellness is a good line of food. Does she get any cat treats?

Not in the past few weeks

Ok good to know.

So I worked with exclusively cats for 5 years, and this is a pretty common problem with kittens - often they don't seem sick thankfully, but of course it can be smelly and messy.

It sounds like you have tried the usual things I start with and have done some tests to rule out some of the common causes.

I will say many kittens, no matter what we do, often seem to outgrow this as they get a bit bigger and older. This doesn't sound like an emergency issue where she needs to be seen tonight.

But I think there are a few other things to potentially ask your vet about in terms of other tests and possibly meds to try.

Most of the veterinary labs have something like a diarrhea panel, that can do some tests for some specific types of infections that could be missed on the regular fecal float check that we normally do in the office.

There is another test available for a tough protozoan infection to check for called Tritrichomonas as that can sometimes cause signs like Gin's.

Okay I will talk to my vet about that

If you are tapped out for money for testing, there are other medications/supplements that can be helpful to try, and low risk for using.

Metronidazole is a great first choice of antibiotic as it covers for the most common GI infections and has anti-inflammatory properties. But when that doesn't seem to help for my kitten patients, often I will use one called Clavamox for a different spectrum of coverage.

The most common dewormer used for the common kitten parasites is one called pyrantel, they usually are given 2 or more doses. But it does not cover for all parasites, and sometimes they can have one yet not show up on the general fecal testing. Sometimes it helps to do broader deworming with a medication called Panacur (or generic fenbendazole).

okay

Some kittens too can have a fiber responsive diarrhea, where giving extra fiber can help, though some do better with a lower fiber diet (sometimes a prescription option short term).

I usually see less issues with grain free diets like Core, but there is a possibility that something in it may not agree with her, that trying a different brand/and or flavor could help.

Unfortunately it can be a bit of trial and error for some of these guys, and if she is ever seeming more obviously ill it would be best to have her re-evaluated right away.

But these are a few other ideas for things to talk to you vet about, oh also a vitamin b12 injection can sometimes be beneficial.

Does that help?

that definitely gives me more ideas . Thank you.

You're very welcome-

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you - but you'll still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian