Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has red scabs that seem to be increasing. They don't

My cat has red scabs...
My cat has red scabs that seem to be increasing. They don't seem to bother her, and she lets me look at them without a problem. They have a bump that I can feel when I pet her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Spice and she is 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spice?
Customer: No, shes never had any health problems before. She does go outside, and I thought that she might have gotten caught in some brush, but the scabs are increasing now.
11/8/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

This sounds very much like Miliary Dermatitis.

There are lots of different causes for it:

Fleas, mites, bacterial infection, Ringworm, Allergic disease to name a few.

Here is what you need to do:

Skin scrape to look for mites- and consider treating even if dont find them

Flea treatment and preventative

Ringworm culture or PCR

Then you base treatmetnt on the results.

Make sense?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I do all of those things or start with one? I have another cat, should I treat her too?

Economical thing to do would be to treat both cats for fleas and then watch for results.

If no change then off to the vet you go- just take one cat. But treat both for whatever you turn up

Then if still no change this cat might have allergic disease- food being most common.

Remember it is the allergic component that leads to the lesions and scratching and not the flea bit itself. So both cats could have fleas with only one having lesions.

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Makes sense. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help and quick response!

You are very welcome.

Please update me on your progress.

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian