Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat is sneezing occasionally. But eating and drinking

Cat is sneezing occasionally...

Cat is sneezing occasionally. But eating and drinking normally. I noticed that her mouth is slightly open and appears to be breathing through her mouth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Nola, 3 years old. I have another cat that is older he was sneezing for a couple of days before but he seems better now,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nola?

She is a totally indoor cat, never goes outside

11/7/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lola. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that causes the sneezing (and conjunctivitis?) in two cats in the household. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. The over the counter (available in some feed stores or online except in California) ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as Nola continues eat, drink, and act normally in spite of her sneezing, she doesn't need to be attended to by her vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
No discharge from their eyes at all. No Nasal discharge. Just sneezing and what appears to be breathing through her mouth.

Thank you for the additional information. A conjunctivits may or may not arise. I suspect that her nasal cavities are swollen and obstructing air flow necessitating open-mouth breathing. This should be transient and not need treating. Please continue our conversation if you wish. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?