Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Scratching losing hair on her lower top of her backside sore…

Customer Question
Scratching losing hair on...

Scratching losing hair on her lower top of her backside sore spots on ears neck

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

I have two cats that are sister given to me one is a fat cat but the one with the scrachting and sores is the worst the people who gave them to me only said they had been fixed for no more babies I have only given them baths with morizering shampoo for them and flea medicine that a vet already had for them

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

That's all I know about them they travel with their son when in military they were suppose to send me the cats medical records when they found them but I have never received them yet and cant get in touch with them now

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/7/2017
Cat Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

This could be a lot of things.

But we will get it sorted.

Do you have the name of the flea medicine?

When was it last applied?

Paul

Revolution
Put on cat about 2 or 3 weeks ago but the cat already had the scratching and hair lose and sores before I done this
they do not go outside but got out one time since I have had them and stay out for a few hours and I found only a couple of fleas but nothing severe

Okay good call on the Frontline.

Are you able to see little red/black flecks on the skin when you part the fur? We are looking for flea dirt.

If this is not fleas then we will need to the following:

Skin scrape for mites

Skin cytology to assess for bacterial infection

Fungal culture/PCR to look for a ringworm infection

Make sense?

Paul

no flea dirt signs at all
the other cat has worms in poop and I have given worm medicine in their water
cat with the problems with scratching hair loss does not have the worms in poop

Okay thanks.

If you can send me a picture of the skin that would help with this process.

Paul

thank you that does make sense and I will take them to a vet here in my town . thank you again.
how do I send on here
i have a i-phone 7
what e-mail can i send pictures to?
hello are you still here?
i send pictures to***@******.***

Godd morning.

I think you are sending them to the right address.

Paul

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian