Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

3 mos old - random sneezing and now vomiting and diarrhea

over last few days -...
3 mos old - random sneezing and now vomiting and diarrhea over last few days - what is going on
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: ,itten
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: sorry - kitten
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: no
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: coco
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?
Customer: adopted from a shelter a week ago
11/5/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

What does his vomit and diarrhea look like?

Any nasal discharge? What color?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sneezing started last Monday, had diarrhea on Tuesday, vomiting Friday night and today. First vomit orange in color and consistency of wet cat food. Also been some yellowish fluid. No nasal discharge. Gums pale. No tenderness in tummy. Tummy soft. Has been active and playful until today. Now lethargic. Has eaten nothing but kitten food recommended by animal shelter. Is contained in a room while our existing cat gets used to new kitten.

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see that Coco is separated from your other cat. I do suspect the sneezing is him recovering from cat flu and he could still be infectious. That said, these GI signs raise worries of something else targeting his weakened immune system. So, if we can exclude his eating something harmful, we'd be worried about a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis or parasites/protozoa infections.

Now if you think his gums are much paler then the other cat, then that does raise worries of anemia (from worms, internal bleeding, etc) or possible reduced circulation in the GI (from a blockage). And paling would warrant having him seen urgently. Though if his gums are a similar color, then we cam monitor and try some supportive care to ease his signs until you can reach his local vet or the shelter (as he likely picked these up from there).

To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Furthermore, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies (of course avoid Imodium, Pepto Bismol or salicylic acid/aspirin containing products as those aren't cat friendly). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check that he isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure he doesn’t have sunken eyes and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, Coco's signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr B - Coco is much better thank you. After a visit and tests at our vet, she had a fever and elevated white count. Vet did blood work and X-rays , looking for intestinal blockage. None there, so she re-hydrated her and gave her 10 days of antibiotics, special food. She is much better now. All this cost $1000. Between insurance and humane society, the bill should be covered.

Lovely,I am so glad to hear that she is. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian