Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat was sneezing a lot today and I noticed the discharge…

My cat was sneezing a...
My cat was sneezing a lot today and I noticed the discharge was pinkish. I wiped het nose and it looked like it was a tad bloody. We give her lysine for chronic sinus problems. What's wrong?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/4/2017
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently I'm reviewing your question, and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Great thank you.

It sounds like your cat already has a chronic sinus problems. It is good that you are giving Lysine as this will help slow down chronic sinus problems. However Lysine only slows down the problem... not eliminate the problem. With chronic sinus problems even with the lysine the immune system of the sinuses are weak. This will allow minor bacterial infections to take hold. When the bacterial infection occurs then you'll get sneezing of red, yellow or green. If the sinus problems are under control then you'll only get the clear sneezing. So what I would recommend is to continue to monitor her and if the red sneezing discharge continues, or she becomes less energetic or her appetite decreases then she'll need to see the vet on Monday for probable antibiotics. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

OK. Will do. Sorry the program here said a phone call was better. But I will continue to monitor her. Should I cancel that?
I think what she has (but not confirmed) is feline herpes virus.

The phone call is better in some circumstances and we can still chat if you'd like but it's also more expensive to call, and probably not necessary.

I would agree with you that the most common cause is herpes virus.

Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
OK I'll see if I can cancel that or save it for later. Thank you. Yes, that's what they think she has. Next vet visit I will request the blood work to see if indeed that's what she has. Any other tests we should request? Is she contagious to other cats?
DocPaul
Phone call session started

At this point I don't think any other tests are likely needed unless symptoms worsen, in that case a chest xray for pneumonia is a good idea. Herpes is contagious but most cats have already been exposed as kittens, just some have worse symptoms than others. Dr. Dan.

Excellent thank you. I will keep that in the back of the mind. Fingers crossed she gets better soon.

You are welcome, good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan
Good Evening,Thank you! She is doing well, no more symptoms! I'm still watching her but she's eating, and drinking and running around. Thank you so much!Lisa
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian