Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 14 year old cat has diarrhea. 24 hours. No change in

My 14 year old...

My 14 year old cat has diarrhea. 24 hours. No change in diet. Lately peeing and pooping out of litter box. Moved box to first floor and was better. But now diarrhea on floor and I think I noticed limping going up steps. Never saw this before. Loss of a little weight too

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

No. Did have uti about a month ago. But no fall

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Teeni

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/3/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Okay so diarrhea and weight loss?

Paul

Can I give cat rice
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am Sorry that Teeni is going through this situation. It is so frustrating when they stop using the litter box and have diarrhea. I am working on a detailed response for you right now and will be right back. Please just give me a moment.

Ok, so there are a few tings that you can do at home to try to help with the diarrhea.

1. Metamucil- This is a great fiber source that can be added to canned food or chicken gerber baby food and it can help to firm up the stool. You can add 1/4-1/3 tsp twice daily. Do not give more than that and DO NOT give the flavored kind.

2. Probiotics- Probiotics can be very helpful with cases of diarrhea. The most palatable probiotic for cats if purina fortiflora. It comes in a powder form that can be added to the food. You can purchase it at most pet stores, vet clinics or online.

3. Bland or normal diet- So I would suggest just sticking with the regular diet at this point. No treats or extra food. Unless for some reason Teeni is not eating well. Then you can try really bland things like low sodium chicken broth, yogurt, chicken breast. Everything in very small amounts.

typing more...

Since she is limping, it would be best to have the litter box in the easiest location for her to get to. Of course you have to monitor the limping and if not improving, you may have to get that examined. Also, you may want to add another litter box to see if that helps with her using it. Make sure it is really easy for her to get in and out of.

Finally, we are not sure why Teeni presented with the diarrhea especially when there were no changes. At the age of 14 there are many internal diseases that can cause a pets system to be unbalanced such as kidney and liver disease, thyroid disease, etc. Really pay attention to increases in water consumption and increased urine output. If you are noticing these things are the diarrhea is not improving, I would definitely recommend taking her in for a blood test to ensure that there is nothing else going on with her.

I hope that helps to clarify things. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week, so keep me posted on how she is doing.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Any questions?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
No but thank you. I will try these suggestions. U we so helpful.