Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 12 yr old cat has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and…

Customer Question
My 12 yr old...

My 12 yr old cat has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and liver issues. The vet said his thyroid level was 15 and should be 6. He put him on methimazole, starting with 1 ml 2x daily. After 2 days I was to increase it to 2ml. Today is day 3 of the med and he vomited and wouldn't eat. I don't have a lot of info on the levels for this or his liver. I have read a lot about holistic meds and wondering if I should try this route. Not happy with what I have read about side effects of the methimazole. I do not live in an area where any other treatment options are available. Not sure what to do. He was eating good until I started the meds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Buddy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?

Not that my vet told me.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Buddy is being treated for hyperthyroid with methimazole. Since starting the medication, Buddy has been vomiting and not eating well. I am sorry to hear about this problem. There are some holisitic remedies marketed for hyperthyroid conditions, but unfortunately, none of them have stood up well to results. The thyroxine (i.e. thyroid) still remains elevated with natural remedies.

Most adverse effects associated with methimazole in cats occur within the first 3 months of therapy. Vomiting, lack of appetite, and depression/lethargy occur most frequently. The starting dose for cats is 2.5 mg every 12 hours. I am not sure what 1 mL equals in your case, but the bottle should indicate how many milligrams are in a milliliter.

Cats that cannot tolerate GI adverse effects may do better with topical methimazole, so that may be a better recommendation. There is also a Hill's t/d pet food that can be used instead of medication. If strictly followed then that could be a good option for treatment. Finally, there are surgical and radiation options that offer permanent cures without the need for long term medication management.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. It is the only way Experts can continue helping more people. Thank you.

Just checking in. How is Buddy doing?