Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He has started hanging out in the bathroom alone. This

Customer Question
morning I watched him stare...
He has started hanging out in the bathroom alone. This morning I watched him stare at the base of the toilet for about 15 minutes. And again this evening. I have also noticed his skin / fur on his top left side twitch. Like when a horse twitched to shake off flys.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I named him shadow because I got him on August 21st, the day of the solar eclipse. I was told by my friend that her friend was moving and pets were not allowed where they were moving to. I was told he was 2 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?
Customer: In the last day and a half, he has cut back on the amount of dry food he eats. Seems to only 1/2 now. But, tonight he did eat all of the wet I gave him. I feed him Crave w/chichen. I have tried the Crave chicken / salmon flavor. but he seems to prefer the chicken only. He drinks plenty of water. In fact, I scoop out more urine clumps from his litter box than poop.
JA: Is Shadow bleeding a lot?
Customer: None that I can see
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Shadow, please?

He appears to experience periods of a change of mentation (mental status) but we don't have a lot to go on at this time. We need more of a track record to know if this behavior is significant. The skin twitch is normal although if it became excessive the feline hyperesthesia syndrome needs to be considered. In that case, we also call it "rolling skin disease" which can have many possible etiologies.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He seems to be acting normal today. Although I did find the staring at the toilet for a long time w/o moving a muscle somewhat strange. I had that same stance and look years ago when I was much younger and felt like I was about to hurl. lol Why would he just sit there and stare for a long period?

Thank you for the good update. I wonder if he was seeing his reflection in the toilet? Absence seizure - a form of complex partial seizure? Your guess is a good as mine at this time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian