Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

2 cats - Female - first to exhibit problem - diarrhea, then…

2 cats - Female - first...
2 cats -
Female - first to exhibit problem - diarrhea, then vomited hairball...I didn't worry too much....diarrhea persisted then 2nd cat - male had a loose stool about a day and a half after she started. During this time, the female (who is a picky eater anyway) was not interested in food, not even boiled chicken. I figured it was her body helping her get over whatever she might have ingested to cause the problem. He was still eating normally at that time. He vomited once - no hairball....just liquid. So her appetite came back to normal at the same time he lost his. He would eat his chicken. This was about 5 days ago. I have not taken them in, as they both seem fine otherwise, and I was hoping their system could work through whatever it was. They are bright eyed, running around.... Both of them have a good appetite now, but yesterday the female started throwing up food. They are indoor cats, but we do have ferals that I feed. I always wash my hands really well when I come back in, but I am worried because some of the ferals do crawl on my lap and now I'm worried they passed something to my cats because I don't change clothes when I come in from taking care of them. I did bring the outdoor plants in, and while I was placing them in their spots, my two cats had access to the fern, but I never spray my plants with insecticide or anything like that. We don't have mice, so that wouldn't be an issue. They do like to chase centipede/millipede (not sure which one - red ones) - but doubt that would be it, because they both got this close together. The dog was treated for ear infection, and would shake her head and her drops would fling, but never noticed the cats interested in any of that. Dog was also given antibiotics and steroids, but she never threw up her meds, and we never "lost" one. Back to the cats - the color of the stool heads toward green color. Sometimes it's really loose, other times it is true diarrhea. It's frustrating cuz they are active. I checked the male's anus for any signs (he came to us as a rescue with severe GI problems....and then later on showed symptoms of tapeworm on top of things....treated and it cleared up)....but I see to redness to his anus, I did notice last night white stuff that smelled yeasty...it wasn't pus and wasn't tapworm....it looked like yeast infection. So.......whew.........after all that....what do you think we might be dealing with? They both are drinking and peeing. Just to help - summary of where they are now. Female - eating, drinking, peeing, pooping diarrhea, throwing up, bright eye-d, active. Male - eating, drinking, peeing, pooping loose stools, bright eye-d, active.
history that might help - female born April 2016 - rescued from feral colony | male born Novemberish 2015 - rescued from hoarder - he had severe diarrhea and really bad eyes and fleas - treated for worms and fleas without testing. later tests came back negative and negative for Giardia. You thought it might be Tritrichemonas but ASPCA wouldn't test for that - suggested we treat with boiled chicken only diet and we used RxBiotics and Clay sprinkled on that - stools came back to normal - did that for about 6 months and gradually weaned him to a combo of wet (2 spoons a day) and Purina Gentle diet cat food, and now he gets a combo of the Gentle diet and Healthy (cuz he weighs so much). Treated him for visible tapeworm in Feb. One dose did the trick. Female never showed signs of anything.
10/28/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Hi, PJ, sorry for the delay. Thank you for the good review. As you realize, the gastrointestinal distress you're currently seeing can arise from more possible etiologies than I could post in this venue. When two indoor cats are demonstrating similar symptoms, however, a contagious infection - viral, bacterial, parasitic; and food poisoning (a too heavily bacterially contaminated package of dry food or treat) need to be considered. In most cases, I'll give these cats 72 hours to normalize which is usually long enough for a simple infection to resolve. You've mentioned, however, that they're on their 5th day of being symptomatic and that should prompt a fecal ova and parasite exam and consideration of presumptive therapy with metronidazole - the antibiotic of choice for the "food poisoning" bacteria - Clostridium, usually. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

sorry for the delay - was out at the Dollar Store -
thanks for your insights - I was hoping I wouldn't have to take them both in, as our finances (as you might remember) are really slim, and I'm trying to right by saving these cats...probably shouldn't have triedAs long as I make sure they eat and drink, do you think I would be ok with waiting till Monday...I can't imagine what emergency vet costs would be since it's the weekend.Thanks once again for being there for us!

No worries. You're alway welcome to my blatherings. Yes, I don't see a need for an ER visit as long as they continue to eat and drink normally. Please keep me posted.

Thanks again so much! Nice to know you are out there :) Would adding pumpkin to their diet help soothe them over the weekend? I've used that on other pets (dogs and cats) in the past. I also still have some of the Rx Biotic and Clay if you think I should try that instead...just want them to be as comfortable as possible till we get in.

Be careful with canned pumpkin. It usually acts as a bulk laxative which is just what you don't need at this time! I don't see any problem with the palliative Rx Biotic and Clay.

gotcha! thanks again. I hope your weekend treats you well :)

You're quite welcome. I'll be chained to my computer by evil gnomes this weekend so I'll see if you need me or not.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
thank you!!!

Thank you once again.

wanted to give you an update on these two, and when I know you are online - I'll shoot you a new question about some ferals outsideAs recommended I called the vet on that Monday - appt for Wed - now for the details - on that Sunday, the stools were started to become more formed from both, and they were eating normally. Sunday night - the males stool looked really good, female still loose (not runny like before). By Tuesday, the stools were back to normal - still stinky, but formed. Called the vet, we decided to cancel the appt, and set up another one if it got bad again.
Current update: Both still rather stinky - female more so than male, and I've noticed a drop of blood on her stool once. Activity level is fine, eating is back to normal and stools still formed.
Thought you might like to know..............now...when I know you are there for sure, I will initiate a new thread re: some ferals

Thank you for update. I'm conscious once again.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian