Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has worms. they are almost half an inch what should I

My cat has worms. they...
My cat has worms. they are white almost half an inch long what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Huckelberry is 2 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Huckelberry?
Customer: No. He is a house cat and I think he got the worms from food. I switched from Iams to Aldis
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/27/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Huckelberry.

Would you say the worms that you saw are flat or are they round?

Thanks, Deb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
round,with some sort of head that is like a trumpet,it curls when touched and puffs up

Thanks.

I don't suppose you could send me a picture, could you? The following link walks you through the process: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Where are you seeing these worms? Coming out of his rectum or mixed in with his stools, for example? Deb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
comming out of his rectum,I dont have one to pic.

I understand but just thought I'd ask anyway:)

Please give me a minute to type back a response for you. Deb

I can understand why you might think he got these worms from his food but this isn't a common mode of transmission. Sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference between roundworms and tape worms. The former are round (similar to spaghetti) and will curl and will have one end that's more tapered than the other.

Tapeworms are flat and look segmented; the segments can separate and when they're dry, they look like dried coconut or rice.

So, if they're round, it sounds as if he has roundworms which will be quite easy to treat. You can purchase Pyrantal Paomate over the counter at just about any pet/grain store or online. The active ingredient is the same although it's sold under different brand names such a Strongid or Evict or Nemex. I treat every two weeks for three doses.

This wormer is quite safe and effective as well.

If you think he may have tapeworms, this is also easy to treat. A one-time dosage of Praziquantel (sold as Droncit or Drontal) will be effective. It's also sold over the counter at most pet/grain stores or online as well.

If you purchase Drontal, it has the ingredients which will kill both tapeworms and roundworms. https://www.1800petmeds.com/Drontal-prod10073.html

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks,

You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Best of luck with eliminating this parasite from his body, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian