Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is vomiting puddles of digested food multiple times a…

Customer Question
My cat is vomiting...

My cat is vomiting puddles of digested food multiple times a day - been going on for over a week and I'm becoming concerned but am not sure if I should take him to the vet as he seems fine otherwise

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No - I have several cats and they are all free-fed the same kibble they have been eating for years

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

He is an indoor cat, lives with other cats and dogs, and has no other health issues

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

You need to take him in to be examined.

How old is he?

Paul

He is about 10 years old. He appears completely fine outside of this issue and has had bouts of regurgitating undigested food previously (as all the cats have) but this is different and incredibly frequent. I was debating on taking him into the vet today but didn't want to overreact being that he is not lethargic and has no signs of diarrhea or constipation. I will definitely take him in, though - Can you give me an idea of what it might be?

Of course.

I asked his age because that allows me to better rank the differential diagnoses.

A young cat i would put foreign body at top.

In a ten year old cat I would consider the following:

Pancreatitis

Inflammatory bowel disease

Food intolerance/allergy

Chronic gastritis

Metabolic disease- kidney, liver

Hyperthyroidism

And gastrointestinal cancer (really really hope not)

They should do blood and urine tests and an abdominal ultrasound.

Ultrasound is my specialty so I can weigh in on the findings.

Make sense?

aul

it does. Although this sounds incredibly expensive. The things we do for our pets... *sigh*... I sincerely ***** ***** assistance and all of the information you've provided. I will be calling the vet momentarily. Can you let me know if I need to pay each time I respond to this thread or if this was a one time fee? I would like to know so that I can follow up with you as we live in a small town and our vets are not the best (mostly large animal vets) so I would appreciate being able to discuss with you after the visit.

Hi again,

Sorry was driving with my daughter.

You are welcome and no you do not have to pay again after this first time :)

This link will stay open for you to update me.

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian