Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is taking Tylosin for an ongoing diarrhea issue.

My cat is taking...

My cat is taking Tylosin for an ongoing diarrhea issue. However, he has vomited afterwards for the past two days. He REALLY needs this medication to do its work. What can we do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No. His meds just make him sick. He's been on it since 10/20, vomited today and yesterday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Augustus.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Augustus?

He has had a fecal assessment and an anal swab sent to lab, and eh result was a very long name of a condition (three words) that I cannot remember.

10/26/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I​ would give him 1/4 of a human 10 mg Pepcid AC tablet an hour before you give the Tylosin. It will settle his stomach and usually helps reduce the vomiting from medication. Also try to give the Tylosin with or after a meal.

I​f he is not already on a bland diet you could put him on a bland diet of plain cooked chicken for now. That is easier to digest than cat food. Your vet also will have some kibble and canned versions of prescription food that is easier to digest. He may already be on one of those.

I should also mention the 1/4 of the 10mg Pepcid AC tablet should be given every 12 hours.

Did all of that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Well, is there a way to make that Tylosin more palatable?

I do not think that will make him vomit less. If you want to try you can mix it with human meat flavored baby food that does not contain onions or garlic. Your vet can order a meat flavored favoring liquid that is in his favorite meat flavor. Wedgewood vet pharmacy has those.

Any smelly canned food may help. I usually use fancy feast ocean white fish flavor with the teal stripe on the label. Do yo have any other question for me? If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars so the website knows I have answered your question.

I​ just went on the wedgewood pharmacy website to see if they could compound the tylosin to something more palatable and they can. Your choices are a liquid, a soft chew, a chewable tablet, or a paste in a syringe. Those can be flavored to your cats favorite flavor.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian