Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

16 year old cat suddenly meowing alot. Her eyes are dialated

16 year old cat suddenly...
16 year old cat suddenly meowing alot. Her eyes are dialated and wont retrack with light. Does she have hypertension?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Fortune
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fortune?
Customer: No not really, she is normal otherwise.
10/23/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. My first thought is that she does have high blood pressure and may even have detached retinas due to the high blood pressure. It is usually an underlying cause of the high blood pressure, though. The most common cause is hyperthyroidism. Heart problems and kidney problems are other common causes as well. I would try getting her into your vet as soon as you can for a full physical exam and blood work. If the retinas are detached, there usually isn't much you can do about that, but your vet can treat for the blood pressure and the underlying cause and help her feel better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you very much. I will take her to the vet today!

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian