Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He is not eating, and throws up what little he does. When he

does eat JA: I'm sorry to...
He is not eating, and throws up what little he does. When he does eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Male cat
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we are awhere of
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Hunter, about 15 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hunter?
Customer: Lethargic
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/23/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your boy Hunger. Have you noticed him drinking more than usual? He is urinating ok at the moment?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Have not noticed if he is drinking. I dont think he is. Not sure about urinating

Ok - thanks for that. I'm replying now.

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Hunter to cause this vomiting and inappetance, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your boy could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Given he is an older cat, we even have to consider an internal organ or internal organ issue like kidney disease, diabetes or thyroid disease. Whatever the case, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Hunter, and if these symptoms continue, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight.

For now, make sure Hunter has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

Over the next little while, please keep an eye on your Hunter's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that he doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Hunter and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian