Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Diabetic cat, 8yrs old, recent diagnosis but may have had

Customer Question
diabetes for a year or...
diabetic cat, 8yrs old, recent diagnosis but may have had diabetes for a year or more. Recent drinking a lot of water caused us to have him tested. We started him on 1U of insulin twice a day, now after 10 days he suddenly stopped eating and stopped drinking, is lethargic, and breathing rapidly. Could it be that insulin is making him worse?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/23/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I will do my best to help you with this situation with Boomer. I am sorry that he is not feeling well. The tough thing about this situation is that I don't have a baseline of how elevated his glucose levels were. Do you have any idea what they were like when he was diagnosed? Did he have any other concurrent diseases such as kidney disease etc?

What insulin is he currently on?

That is a very low dose of insulin and so I would not expect that amount to cause those symptoms, but again, I am wondering what the rest of his blood work looked like. I think that you should hold off giving him any insulin now until you are sure that he is eating and drinking well.

Did you check the blood glucose again this evening after you gave the insulin and he did not eat?

You many have to syringe feed him some water to help keep him hydrated and low sodium chicken broth or Gerber baby food if you are worried that his blood glucose if too low.

I think the thing that concerns me the most is his breathing. If that continues throughout the night and it is severe, then you may have to take him in to be examined. If he otherwise seems pretty stable and alert, his gum color is pink and he is resting well, then I would definitely follow up with your veterinarian in the morning to get his levels checked.

The other thing is that there could be something completely different going on unrelated to the diabetes, especially since that is such a low dose to start with.

I have not heard from you. I hope that all is going okay.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I will also check in with you in the morning.

I hope that helps to clarify things. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week, so keep me posted on how he is doing or send me more questions!

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian