Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has cancer is has been on liquid prednisolone for…

My cat has cancer...

My cat has cancer is has been on liquid prednisolone for pallitive care. She is scheduled for euthansa tomorrow afternoon. But she took a turn for the worse today and I am afraid she is in some pain, I want to know how much I can safely increase the dosage

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

She currently gets 1ML of 3mg liquid daily.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

Hillary

She is 13 years old
10/23/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

thank you

I​ am sorry to hear about your kitty. Is she on any medications besides the prednisone?

When you say she is taking a turn for the worse what is she doing?

She was on a diuretic too, but I have not given it to her tonight.
She has not been able to use the litter box and I did not want her to keep urinating tonight.

You mean she can not get into the litter box or is she urinating over and over?

She is urinating on the floor. I think it is uncomfortable for her to climb in the box.

O​kay so I would pick her up and put her in the litter box once an hour until bedtime.

N​ormally I would not recommend increasing her pred. But she is going to be euthanized tomorrow.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

So I would give her another half of a ml

So that would be 4.5 mg total or prednisone for today.

I ​would also go ahead and feed her whatever her favorite foods are.

I​f she is staying mainly in one spot then bring the litter box to her.

I know this is tough to watch. Hang in there.

Thank you! I just want to try to keep her comfortable as possible until tomorrow.

I totally understand. You are welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Thank you Dr. Gabby. Hillary passed away peacefully Monday evening. I sincerely ***** ***** advice you gave me Sunday night.

Glad to help. My deepest condolences for you loss.