Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat had a dental cleaning and extraction of 1 tooth on…

My cat had a...

My cat had a dental cleaning and extraction of 1 tooth on Thursday. Thursday night he ate a whole can of food. Friday he ate only little and yesterday and today he has not eaten anything or drank anything except some water and the broth from one of those food pouches that I squirted into his mouth with an eye dropper. He is 6 and otherwise healthy. He didn't seem like himself Saturday morning and hadn't slept since Thursday so I called the vet thinking he needed pain meds. He is sleeping better and seems more like himself except the eating anx drinking. I tried different canned foods baby food chicken but he is not interested

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Bailey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?

He has always been a light eater and drinker. I don't know if he is just stressed or if there is something else He is super picky too. Only likes his dry food but hasn't touched it

10/23/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

What is the name of his pain medication? Is he drinking water and passing urine in the litter box?

The pain medication is buprenex and he has been urinating and had a bowel movement earlier today

Thank you. The buprenex could cause a reduction in appetite.

B​ut I do think he should see the vet tomorrow to make sure he does not have an underlying infection and to make sure he is not having an adverse reaction to anesthesia.

T​o help keep his blood sugar up you can put a few drops of karo syrup or honey or pancake syrup in his mouth every few hours until bedtime.

Y​ou could try giving him an over the counter stomach acid reducer like Pepcid ac or Zantac

Z​antac comes in 75 mg tablets and you could give him 1/4 of a tablet

I have been reading online that cats shouldn't go 24-48 hours without eating and drinking. I definitely plan on calling the vet first thing. I just don't know if I should wait.

P​epcid comes in 10 mg tablets and give 1/4 of a tablet.

He is not drinking at all?

Sorry I thought I asked that earlier. I just read you did say he urinating but did not answer the drinking part

No other than a few laps earlier he is not drinking.

Okay. Can you check his gums and see if they are dry or moist? If they are dry he is dehydrated.

You can also pull up on the skin between his should blades. It should spring back into place in 1-2 seconds. If it goes down slowly he is dehydrated.

If he seems dehydrated then he should see the ER vet tonight at least to have some fluid therapy. They could give him some fluids under the skin so he would not have to stay and have iv fluids.

Ok his gums seem moist and I pulled the skin between the shoulder blades and it springs back. I'm sorry I did not see the part of the question about drinking water.

Okay great. : )

S​o I think he can wait until morning to see the vet.

Use your syringe or eye dropper and put some water in his mouth. About a tablespoon.

I​f he is trying to scratch you then wrap him in a towel like a burrito with just his head sticking out. Wrap him tightly like swaddling an baby.

I​f you put some honey or karo syrup or maple syrup into his mouth, just a few drops are needed, then his blood sugar should stay up until tomorrow.

Ok thank you. I will continue to check those and try the honey. He is usually a night eater so I am hoping he will try something later

If you have those stomach acid reducers on hand you could crush up 1/4 of a tablet and mix that with water and give it with the syringe.

If his pain medication is making him nauseous then the stomach acid reducer will help.

H​e does sound stable right now though. That is good news.

D​o you have any other questions for me?

Ok I will try those things. I do not have the stomach meds though
Thank you for the information and reassurance. I will closely monitor him.

Y​ou are very welcome. I you decide to pick up the stomach meds later I know they sell them at grocery stores and Walmart.

Ok thank you. I may go get some.

Glad to help. : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian