Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My VERY pregnant cat (abandoned that I took in) is

experiencing bouts of diarrhea. It's...
My VERY pregnant cat (abandoned that I took in) is experiencing bouts of diarrhea. It's scaring me and I'm unsure if it's normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She's doing everything a normal cat ready to give birth would do. Nesting, not eating, but she seems too warm to me.
I need an answer right away! This is infuriating! I was happy with your service before. My animal is suffering. Please help.
Your email is going to my junk mail.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/22/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Thank you!!

How far along in her pregnancy is she?

I'm very concerned about the abandoned pregnant cat I took in. She's very pregnant, due any moment
No milk produced by nipples yet. Theyre crusty though
I can see the kittens rolling about. She's suffering diarrhea, feels too warm. Not eating at all. Not meowing or yowling. Very lethargic
She's not been outside since I took her in. I have a dog and another inside cat. I'm concerned that she's ill and going to make my other cat ill. Please tell me what to do. Is diarrhea normal before giving birth?
Hello????????

Hello.

There is a bit of a lag in the system.

So she is due to deliver any time now. Then I am not surprised that she is not eating. Nor am I surprised that she has some diarrhea.

Have you changed her diet recently OR added any supplements?

this is normal? I know it's normal for her to stop eating, but the diarrhea is unnerving me. I haven't changed anything in her diet.She is having these diarrhea incidents OUTSIDE her litter box. There is no diarrhea in her litter box.

I am trying to sort through this for you.

How long has she had the diarrhea for? And I can understand her pooping outside of the box if she "cat make it"

Sorry for all the questions but the more history I have the better.

It just started today. It's not a matter of not making it to the litter box. She's doing it in completely different rooms that she normally doesn't go in to. She's rarely leaving her nesting box, so it's almost as if she's leaving the box to have the diarrhea? She's having it near my other cat's box.
There were some dark brown string like things in one bit of it. Looked like carpet strands. Worms? I've seen a few fleas as well but didn't want to put medicine on her for fear of harming her kittens. I've only seen perhaps 2 fleas. She's quite clean although she smells pretty nasty.
The not eating just started today as well. She's been very affectionate and vocal until today. Everything changed today, I guess.

Good information.

If it has only been one day then I am not worried at all.

You could switch her diet again but I am worried that this may backfire on us. I like Purina CNM-EN. This is a veterinary prescription diet.

You could also try probiotics in her current food.

I have also used Metronidazole in those cases that do not respond to initial efforts to resolve it.

Honestly I would consider the diet switch first. Add adding the probiotic.

I suspect that she is getting ready to deliver her kittens.

Paul

OK. I'll not worry too much then tonight. She actually just left the nesting box and plopped down in the kitchen. She can't walk very far without needing a rest. May I still connect if something occurs without more cost?
What probiotic do you suggest for a pregnant cat? I have my own capsules but they're for humans.

Good idea and yes you can email me back at no extra cost.

I will ask you to rate me now as that is how I get paid :)

My favorite probiotic is Fortiflora.

Update me tomorrow AM

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

How is she doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian