Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

5 day old kitten, bottle feeding, trying to determine best

feeding schedule. He weighs 5oz...
5 day old kitten, bottle feeding, trying to determine best feeding schedule. He weighs 5oz. He is having issues pooping: pooped semi-solid brownish yellow at 6:30am, odorous gas at 11:00am,pooped again at 4:30 some foul odor and more yellow than brown and less solid, changed diet to half formula diluted with pedialyte, pooped again at 6:30 more soiled, but still soft better color more brown less yellow. Question is: he seems so hungry and I think I was overfeeding him, now he weighs 5oz I'm feeding him 2ccformula/2 cc pedialyte every 3 hours, he is still so hungry - is this enough? Should I be worried about his pooping? It also seems to be painful for him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: He is abandoned, found 48 hours ago, it took some time to get him to take the bottle, used a syringe the first day, he now loves the bottle and eats vigorously. Weighed 4.5 when found, has gained .5 to 5oz now,
10/22/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....I am preparing your answer.....

Thanks

You did not say but you need to be feeding your kitten kitten mild formula only.......it is called KMR kitten formula and you can get it at most pet stores......and you do not use pedialyte at all...you should feed every 2-3 hours as much as your kitten will take......also make sure to use a cotton ball moistened with water to use to gently stimulate your kitten to urinate and defecate...kitten poop will be soft because they are on a totally liquid diet...make sure when you stimulate for going to the bathroom you wipe from front to rectal area....

sorry that should say kitten milk formula only...

can I answer any other questions?

Can I answer any other questions?

If you do not currently have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

KMR. Why no pedialyte? ,It is recommended for newborn kittens with diarrhea to prevent dehydration. Will it hurt him? When I feed him as much as he wanted his tummy became full and firm and his pooping became a problem. I read so many conflicting things online but most agreed overfeeding can lead to major issues. Also should his pooping be painful, when I stimulate (and I do just as you suggested) he almost screams. At all other times his crying/mowing is normal

If you are doing the stimulating as I indicated then you are doing fine.....kittens don't like it......

Kittens do not need extra electrolytes in pedialyte and this can be dangerous unless it is really needed.....just use the KMR.....

The milk (KMR: not cows milk) will keep kitten from being dehydrated....

I have hand raised hundreds of kittens......

How can I tell if his tummy has become distended? Because it seemed that was happening. I've burped him, he seems better, but I also reduced the feeding.

A kitten having a slightly distended abdomen is not a problem....

kittens often have distended bellies after bottle feeding....

This is my first time, can you tell :). I'm a worried mess and trying my best. Any other tips since you've hand raised so many?

keep them warm.....usually a card board box with blankets works well.....and feed every 3 hours and over a couple of weeks can go to every 4 hours and at 5 weeks you can start weaning slowly with KMR mixed with canned kitten food.....

Well, that is everything. Thanks

You are very welcome......

Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

will you please rate me positively so I can get paid for my services......I am happy to answer follow up questions after you rate me and this question will stay open for a few days.... thank you very much....

Just feed him a decent amount, until he pulled away and no pedialyte. Wish us luck
Abandoned kitten up upset/crying/agitated/uncomfortable! I fed him at 9:30 4cc of just KMR (no pedialyte) and it went well. I fed him 3 hours later at 12:30, letting him eat until full and now he is crying and agitated like I've never seen in the 2 days I've had him. That was over an hour ago. He's crawling all over his bedding, crying, very upset. I've stimulated him a few times until there was no more elimination. The feces looks decent. I've attempted burping him multiple times.The room and his bedding are very warm. Why is he so uncomfortable? Should I water down his KMR next feeding since you say I shouldn't use the pedialyte? This is the worst I've seen him. Should I be worried?

Hi this is DRB and You have not done anything wrong at all......if the kitten is alone and has no one to sleep next to try getting one of the heartbeat stuffed animals for your kitten to lie near.....just because he is more active and crying does not mean he necessarily has a problem. Of course you must remember that we have no way of examining animals on this site and cannot do anything other than give general advice......let me get you a link to the device I am talking about...

This is a link to a toy that you can put in with the kitten that will help it rest calmly.....

kittens cry and crawl around when they are young......but if you are very worried and think there is an actual problem then you need to see a vet in person.....but you have not described anything in itself that is out of the ordinary.....but again if you are worried take your kitten to the vet ER.

I will check back with you later tonight...DRB

Let me know if you need additional help.....DRB

Thank you for your response. He cried himself to sleep after about 2 hours. We've been great since that episode. I was tired and worried. We are feeding every 3 hours 5cc of straight formula. He is gaining weight, now 5.5oz (up from 4.1 three days ago). My newest issue is his anus - it is very red and chapped. He had a "poopsplosion" while sleeping that dried to his angus, tail and lower abdomen. After his 1:30pm feeding, I dipped his hind end in water and cleaned as best as I could. Ever since it has been red and chapped and he hasn't really pooped for me. He is peeing great. I read possibly putting vasoline on can sooth it? Do you recommend that? Or anything else, maybe A&D ointment?You have been very helpful. Once I get a moment between trying to get some sleep and caring for him, I will write a full review for you!
Oh yeah, and I got the toy. Snuggle kitty from amazon for 35$. He loves it!.

Dipping his rectal area in warm water and cleaning is very safe...as far as soothing the area, I like panalog cream (just a dab) of that should help.....DRB

Any advise on the Vaseline?

small amount (just a small dab) should not hurt...

off to work...

if you have further questions I will be back online tonight..

Thanks

Hope all is going well....DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian