Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We think my cat has hyperthyroidism is there anything we can…

We think my cat...

We think my cat has hyperthyroidism is there anything we can do to help him without having to do surgery?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

Hyperthyroidism we think

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

He doesn't seem to be in pain. he just eats and eats and is loosing weight faster and faster.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?

Sam 16

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sam?

He seems fine other then that

10/19/2017
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

Was Sam diagnosed by your veterinarian as being hyperthyroid? There are other reasons for a cat to eat, yet lose weight. Diabetes would be an important rule out. There are definitely other options beside surgery if Sam does have hyperthyroidism.

Please reply so we can figure things out.

Thank you.

my dad talked to the vet and he said they can do blood testing on him to see if that's the problem and if that's the problem they can do surgery. there's no way to know if that's what he has or not without the bloodwork. but we cant afford the bloodwork and surgery.

I think you can talk to your veterinarian about just checking thyroid levels and Sam's blood glucose. This is not very expensive. If this veterinarian will not just do this, then find another veterinarian. Surgery should never be the first course of action for hyperthyroidism. There is a pill that can be given that works very well, it is called Felimazole & this is how I treat 99% of all cats, including my own 18 year old cat who has been on this medication for years. There is also a cat food made by Hill's Prescription Diets called Y/D that can keep symptoms under control. It concerns me that your vet is so quick to recommend surgery. There is another option where your cat is treated with radioactive Iodine, but this can be quite expensive, too.

I think you can call around when it comes to just checking thyroid & blood glucose levels. l would see who will be the most reasonable & bring Sam in to see if he is actually hyperthyroid.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian