Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat ears. He has debris like dried blood. Puts his ears…

Customer Question
My cat ears....

My cat ears. He has debris like dried blood. Puts his ears in weird positions. Shakes his head. Sometimes meows really loud and takes off. He does not like me to touch his ears.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Oly, 1

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oly?

Not that I an think of...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/18/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I sounds as if Oly has some form of ear infection { Otitis Externa } in his outer ear canal, this is actually very common in the cat and often causes just the symptoms you describe..

2. But what is the underlying cause of Otitis Externa in the cat? Well If I wanted to run of a quick differential diagnosis based on my clinical experience it would be something like :

A. Bacterial infection
B. Fungal infection
C. Ear mites
D. Foreign objects in the ear canal
E. Polyps and tumours in the ear canal.
F. Allergic ear / other skin disease.

3. What can you do about it? : Well home remedies in this sort of situation are often unsuccessful so your best plan would be to have your local vet check examine Oly. The vet will check the outer ear canal visually with an otoscope, make some form of decision what the cause may be and then prescribe an appropriate treatment usually in the form of prescription ear drops which are applied into the ear canal. Where this is unsuccessful laboratory test may then be needed to identify the precise cause of the ear disease, but this would be unusual.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Oly is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his ear problem ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you, ***** ***** clicked in! And I want out. I can take my cat to the vet. I was just searching for a homeopathic way to treat him. I should have known a vet will send me to a vet. NOT WORTH ANYTHING.
PLEASE STOP EMAIL ME . TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST. UNSUSCRIBE ME. I GOT AN ANSWER TO GO TO A REAL VET. CASE OVER STOP STOP STOP

Thank you for your reply,

I have known many of the clients at my clinic try and treat their animals with homeopathic remedies in the past, while this form of treatment may be effective in humans for certain conditions because of the placebo effect this of course will be ineffective in dogs and cats. On the other hand prescription drugs in the form of say antibiotics in ear drops has proved to be effective on an everyday basis in the species. You best means of helping Olly is to have him checked over by your local vet, that's just how it is ...

Regards,

Dr Scott