Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 15 years old, she either has a kidney infection or…

My cat is 15...

My cat is 15 years old, she either has a kidney infection or kidney stone.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Bebe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bebe?

I was told she has some sort of heart murmu.

10/18/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bebe. What are her symptoms at this time, please?

She was vomiting, not eating and lethargic. I took her to my vet today. I was told she has either a kidney infection or kidney stone.

Thank you. Vomiting, anorexia, and lethargy are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. A urinary tract infection, urinary calculi (stones in the urinary tract), and a cancer called transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra can all cause stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine) and hematuria (blood in the urine). Without a complete urinalysis nothing about the urinary tract can be diagnosed with certainty. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

How much does surgery to remove a kidney stone generally cost?

A kidney stone is usually left alone. Surgery is unlikely to be attempted in a 15 year old. I can't know what you would be charged but I would ballpark the cost at $5000. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?