Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat was recently diagnosed as hyperthyroid. She's about…

Hi - my cat...

Hi - my cat was recently diagnosed as hyperthyroid. She's about 12 years old. Her test was 13.5. The Vet prescribed thyroid medicine (tablet form to try first). I am a bit reluctant to give her medicine and have read great reviews about a holistic supplement that seems to really help cats with hyperthyroidism, even dropping their thyroid numbers significantly. Here is the link to the product. Do you have any thought/ideas/recommendations/pros/cons to share about this product? It looks really good based on what I see: https://www.petwellbeing.com/products/cat-hyperthyroid

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Pumpkin or Missy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

Thank you

10/18/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

I hate to be a downer here but that is not going to manage the hyperthyroidism.

I have never seen a cat respond to these and there is nothing in the veterinary literature to support there use.

Paul

Hi - thank you. do you think it would hurt if I tried it for a couple of weeks. are the ingredients safe for my cat? I usually go with what the vet recommends, but wanted to try something holistic, but not without checking with a vet first. I understand that you say you've not heard it works. Is it safe to try it though?
Thank you.

Yes. It is safe to try. And honestly I hope it works. I didnt want to come across as negative. But my first obligation is to your kitty cat :)

Please feel free to update me at anytime.

Sincerely, Paul

Hi - Thank you, ***** ***** that. I want to do what is best for her too. I may try it for a couple of weeks, or maybe not. I'll check with my vet too. He only works thurs-sat., so thought i'd try this to get something to think about from another vet, yourself, until I can connect with him. Thank you, Paul.
T.

You are most welcome.

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian