Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I believe my sons cat has tmj. I have inherited Luna. I have…

I believe my sons cat...
I believe my sons cat has tmj. I have inherited Luna.
I have had her about a month. I stared noticing that at times her mouth is opened & she paws at to close it. So far that works. Last night was the first time she really had a hard time getting it to close.
I have read on the internet how it might take surgery to fix this.
She is 12 yrs old & was rescued when she was 2.
If this is the case we can't do surgery right now. She is on dry food. Could putting her on soft food help with the tmj?
I have tmj & when mine is bad beside relaxation medication I'm also put on a soft diet.
Please let me know. I feel so sorry for her when her
Jaws lock
Thank you,
Carolyn DeNina
10/16/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry your are worried about Luna. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you did not get help from a Just Answer expert before now.

TMJ is fairly rare in cats, but an exam by a veterinarian should tell you if she has this problem. There are medications that might help that I would try before doing surgery.

A far more common reason for a cat to have problems like you describe is a bad tooth. If she has a loose or infected tooth, it can be painful to close the mouth. Removing the tooth would take care of the problem.

A soft diet might help, and is worth a try, but if she has a bad tooth it won't help much. She sounds painful, and getting the prescription medication Onsior from your veterinarian may help.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

I have not heard from you; I hope you saw my responses. How is Luna doing today?

Was my answer helpful; do you have any other questions?

Thank u for ur reply.
I will have her checked out by our vet.

You are welcome. Please let me know how she is doing.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
55357;�

Thanks for the great rating!!

Hi Carolyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luna. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian