Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our 16-year-old cat has been battling a bacterial bladder…

Our 16-year-old cat has been...
Our 16-year-old cat has been battling a bacterial bladder infection since 9/06/17. We’ve been working with our regular vet and an emergency vet to treat her. So far she’s had two courses of Covena antibiotics (shots) and just finished a 3-pill-a-day course of Amoxicillin. We also had an ultrasound done of her bladder with no abnormal findings, and her blood work came back really good. We took her (Wiggles) to our regular vet Friday. They withdrew additional urine to test to see if this bad (in our vet’s language) bacterial infection was cleared up yet. Test results due back early this week. Anyway, he recommended we continue to give her Amoxicillin (pill form) for another week. All along we’ve been treating her pain with Buprenorphine. Wiggles would have a few good days, then a bad day, but overall we’ve seen improvements until this weekend. After bringing her home from the vet, she’s been lethargic, hardly moving, lessened appetite, weak, and limping and almost lame in her back hips. The vet stretched her and prodded her quite a bit during the appointment and declared he thinks she has some bad arthritis in her hips and one front paw. We kind of knew this a while ago and unsuccessfully treated it with Cosequin. Cosequin gave her diarrhea. Anyway. I’m concerned with this lethargy and apparent lameness. We also stopped giving her the Amoxicillin pills Saturday as her mouth was sore from us forcing the big pills on her three-times-a-day and she wouldn’t eat. My thought were to call vet first thing tomorrow to get Amoxicillin in liquid form. Continue to administer with Buprennorphine for pain as I think this bacterial infection is still active. Should I be concerned about the lameness now too, or will this improve slowly once the bacterial infection subsides? I’m just worried sick for the little thing. I’m also wondering if some of these symptoms (arthritis) may be worsened from stress? She’s not herself, she’s in pain, and she’s not moving. I’m just wondering if our regular vet is diagnosing everything correctly?
10/16/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about Wiggles. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you did not get help from a Just Answer expert before now.

Has a urine culture been done, to tell what bacteria is causing the infection, and what antibiotic is most effective for that bacteria?
Once you know what "bug" she has, and what antibiotic is best for that bug, then I would get a liquid form of that antibiotic. For now, I would get a liquid Amoxicillin.

If she has arthritis, I would consider trying Onsior, an anti inflammatory made just for cats. It is a pill, but it is small and good tasting, and most cats will eat it with their food. Buprenorphine is good for pain and can be given with Onsior, but buprenorphine does not have anti inflammatory properties.

I don't think the lameness will get better when the infection is gone. If she has arthritis, she may continue to be uncomfortable.

X-rays should tell if she has arthritis.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you, ***** ***** did culture her urine and vet now has her on liquid Amoxicillin versus the pills that were starting to bother her. I appreciate your recommendation of the Onsior as I think the inflammation from this bacterial infection and stress is really flaring up her arthritis. Luckily, we have a new vet setting up shop down the street who deals with homeopathic care, senior pet care, and does acupuncture. I think once we get over this bad bacterial infection, we’ll start treatments there. Thank you so much for “filling in some pieces” so to speak, and confirming some of my suspicions and giving us some new directions to explore. Always good to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Wiggles is worth it!

Thanks for the great rating.

Glad to hear about your new vet; acupuncture might be really helpful.

Please let me know how Wiggles is doing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Wiggles. How is everything going?