Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My newest cat, a stray who wandered into our backyard this…

My newest cat, a stray...
My newest cat, a stray who wandered into our backyard this spring,is less than two years old and still stays in his own bedroom most of the day. When he's out in the rest of the house with the other cats he breathes very fast. He had bloodwork and a chest xray and might have a slightly enlarged heart, but our vet wasn't worried about it. Today he chased one of the cats and then he was visibly and audibly struggling to catch his breath for a minute afterward. Will he be ok if he doesn't see an internist until November 1?
10/16/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your cat.

While it's not possible for me to state with 100% certainty that he'll be ok until you can have him evaluated by a specialist in a few weeks, more than likely he will be....especially if you can keep him from overdoing it such as he did today.

I know it may be difficult to keep him isolated until then but it's just a few weeks which, hopefully, shouldn't be too bad. Reducing his stress level and limiting his exercise is what will be most important until he can be evaluated.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian