Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

12-year old male cat with no existing health problems. He's…

12-year old male cat with...
12-year old male cat with no existing health problems. He's entirely indoors. We've noticed a bump on his head, a little bit above one of his eyes. It is very hard and feels like it's part of his skull, like a calcium deposit or bone spur. It does not hurt him and he doesn't react to us pushing on it (keeps purring like we're just rubbing his head). The skin and fur covering the bump are normal.He's eating normally and seems perfect content. But the protrusion on the skull is visible to the naked eye and, by sticking out, makes it look like the eye beneath has slightly receded. The eye itself is bright and appears normal.Any thoughts?Thank you.
10/16/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

It is good that it does not hurt or bother him.

How large is the bump and have you seen it long enough to assess how fast it is growing?

Paul

Hi Dr. Brazzell,
We first noticed a slight bump a few days ago, only noticeable to the touch. Yesterday was the first time we noticed it was visible. We now notice that there is a bit of puffiness over the eye/sagging of the upper eyelid, between the bump and eye. The bump is about 1 cm, under the skin and kind of firm like a nodule or cyst; it doesn't feel mobile.
Thanks.

Aha!

This could be good news.

This could be an abscess in which case it can be easily fixed.

If you want to try putting warm compresses on it for a few days (if it is an abscess) then it will come to a head and you may be able to resolve it.

Ten minutes a few times a day if kitty will sit still :)

Paul

Hi Dr. Brazzell,
Thanks for your responses.Just to update you: Since yesterday, the general puffiness between the eye and the hard bump has itself turned into a second bump (this one soft), so that there are now two well defined bumps. He continues to act normal and does not show any pain. We took him to the veterinarian today and, though there doesn't seem to be any infection, he received an antibiotic injection. We're also starting him on a course of Prednisone. There is a suspicion that the bumps may be tumors (though it's weird they've appeared so fast). We'll complete the course of Prednisone and then perhaps have a biopsy if needed.Thanks again.

Hi.

Thank you for the detailed update.

Glad that he is not uncomfortable.

Please keep me updated on his progress and I am in agreement with the biopsy IF the masses do not resolve.

Still not 100% sure it is NOT a cellulitis/abscess.

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about A. How is everything going?

DocPaul