Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a cat whose favorite past-time is eating. Tonight she…

Hi. I have a...
Hi. I have a cat whose favorite past-time is eating. Tonight she did not eat her food. But she is searching around for other food. I tried giving her treats, but she won't eat those either.When I came home from work, she was running around with my other cat, but now she won't eat. She is overweight from when I adopted her, but is on Metabolic and Urinary food and has lost alot of weight.I am worried because she has not eaten. It is only one meal, but she always looks for her food....
10/16/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When you say she is "looking for other food" what do you mean? What does she seem to want to eat right now?

She is searching the floor for food. She also went to my dog bowl. But now she is just sitting in the kitchen.

Okay I would check her mouth and make sure there is no gum redness, foreign bodies, or something stuck in there.

If that is normal she may just have an upset stomach. I was asking about what she is trying to eat because sometimes they eat grass or unusual things or foods to try and settle or cool the stomach down.

Do you have any 10mg Pepcid AC or 75 mg Zantac? Those are over the counter human stomach acid reducers.

I did check her mouth and did not see anything. I only have Pepto Bismol.. This is the first time she has ever refused food.

Okay you can not give her pepto bismol.

You could go to the store and buy some 10mg pepcid ac tablets and give her 1/4 of a tablet. That should helps settle her stomach and if it were just an upset stomach then you would know.

If she is still not eating in the morning then she needs to see the vet to figure out why she is not eating.

I would not panic yet though. If she misses one meal that is not that big of a deal.

If she goes 24 hours without eating she needs to see a vet.

Ok. So, I don't need to take her to the emergency vet. I can take her to my vet tomorrow if she does not eat her breakfast?

Yes, she sounds stable right now. If her gums look pale/purple or she starts to vomit repeatedly or she becomes very lethargic and will not get up I would take her to the ER vet.

Right now it just sounds like she is not hungry.

It does not sound like she is in distress.

How can I tell if she is in distress? Will she make noise or walk around? Because right now she is just sitting on the floor with closing eyes.

Yes, she will have more symptoms. She will cry over and over or she will vomit. She could also have diarrhea. One episode of vomiting or diarrhea would not be cause to see the ER vet. But if she has episodes over and over that would be cause to see the ER vet.

Or if she will not get up and walk around.

She may go in and out of the litter box over and over.

Coughing or trouble breathing.

Bleeding that will not stop.

Those are some examples of distress or need to the see the ER vet.

OK. Well I will watch her. She has never turned down food and meows for it. This is just strange behavior to not even eat treats...

Yes, but it is pretty common for them to skip a meal now and then. But if it keeps happening there is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
OK, Thank you.

You are very welcome.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian