Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 8 year old Ragdoll is having diarrhea and some vomiting.

I believe she may have...
My 8 year old Ragdoll is having diarrhea and some vomiting. I believe she may have a GI tract infection. She's also pooped about 5 times now in the last 5 days outside the litter box. I'm getting worried and I have her on Hills Sensitive Stomach dry catfood. It's the same catfood she has been eating for years and she normally does fine on it. Do you think I need to take her into the Vet? My vet is out on maternity leave aswell so she would need to see someone new. 😕
10/15/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are worried about Dreamie. How long since the vomiting and diarrhea began?

Hi Rebecca! Can you recommend anything over the counter?

Vomiting and diarrhea in a cat her age could be an infection but there are other possibilities. She could have IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), pancreatitis, liver disease, or may have developed a sensitivity to an ingredient in the food she eats.

Is she losing any weight? If you lift her lip to check her gums, do they look pink or pale to you?

You can give a cat Pepcid AC (famotidine), 2.5 to 5 mg twice daily for vomiting.

I am sorry but I can't make calls for the website; that offer did not come from me!

You can also try Probiotics (beneficial bacteria supplements). I like Fortiflora and Proviable for cats but Culturelle for people is supposed to be good.

I hope you are seeing what I am writing; please let me know if I can answer anything else.

My cat is obese, Rebecca. She's a treat addict and I probably need to completely quit giving her treats..Thank you for your advise
Her gums look black like her skin but pink

Being overweight is a risk factor for pancreatitis.

The black on her gums is normal pigment, but if there are pink areas, that is a good sign she is not in immediate danger.

You are welcome; please let me know how she is doing.

She's had this issue since last Wednesday

See if the famotidine helps. If it does not, I would have her checked by your veterinarian.

Ok Thank you!

You are welcome!

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
DocPaul
Phone call session started

Thanks for the great rating.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian